Hi!
  If you really have the newest version (0.9.1 or higher) there is dmix. But I
don't completely know, what it is about. I think it may help. but in general
with alsa you can only play so many sounds as your card supports. So you would
need a multichannel card to do that. I don't think that the ess would solve
that. About the sb128 I don't know. Maybe worth a try. But still I would
propose jack. You can use jack for a lot more than that.
  Regards
       Julien

Julien Patrick Claassen
http://www.geocities.com/jjs_home