AFAIK the alsa drivers are included in the kernel distribution, there is no
need to install them afterward. Just enable them during config.

For some other problems with 2.6.0 I was advised to update the modprobe etc,
as the old ones do not work with 2.6.0.

Regards.

PS, glad someone at least got 2.6.0 running. On both pc's I get more errors
than the console buffer can handle.