Jan Krämer wrote:

> Am Mittwoch, 29. Oktober 2003 12:18 schrieben Sie:
>
> > It seems that ALSA has problems with asynchronous output endpoints.
> > The Audiophile doesn't use those for higher sample rates; so what
> > happens when you play the file at 48001 Hz (_LE or _BE)?
>
> I must say I do have difficulties to check that, I converted a wav to S32_LE
> 96000 and let it play with the plughw device (the soundcard seems to only
> accepts S24_3LE and I have no prog in the moment handy creating such a type)
>
> This I must say was...well not very helpfull since it played complete static
> when I played it as S32_LE. With S32_BE it sounded exactly the same as when I
> play the normal one with S16_LE. (So it seems that at least that problem is
> not apperent when in an adaptive endpoint...)

That is, playing a S32_LE file as S32_LE doesn't work, while
pretending it to be S32_BE works? This would be the same situation is
with 44100 Hz.

> I am going to play a little with this later, by the way, the same (static)
> happenes when I play it in 48000 S32_LE on the plughw, thereby using the
> other adaptive endpoint..

48000 still uses the asynchronous endpoint AFAICS. You can check the
currently active altsetting by looking into cardX/stream0 when it's
playing.

Regards,
Clemens