At Wed, 29 Oct 2003 09:01:22 +0100 (MET),
Clemens Ladisch wrote:

> Jan Krämer wrote:
> > ...tonight I toyed a little and played a Little Endian raw file using aplay
> > and the plughw device, but told aplay that the file would be Big Endian, and
> > was a little shocked that it worked
> >
> > So might be the whole problem (at least for me) that the alsa driver and the
> > USB-Audiophile think...well..up-side down?
>
> Apparently, yes. It's strange because USB audio never uses big-endian
> data.

i got an audiophile device for tests and confirmed that's true.
really wierd, but big-endian works for both 16 and 24bit.

right now on cvs, usb-audio driver was changed so that big-endian is
used for audiophile as a workaround.  also, adaptive out is chosen
for the outputs, since async out seems broken (it persists to return
1000Hz to sync pipe).
the hw_constraint routine is fixed, so 96000Hz 24bit works fine now.

Takashi