On Sunday 04 Jan 2004 03:53, Jason Clouse wrote:
> On 2004-01-04 01:49:30 +0000 Mark Hubbard
>
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I've got to ask this. :-)
> >
> > Have you turned the volume up to max in alsamixer for the surround
> > channels?
>
> That did it!  I had all my channels turned up to 10% because when I
> initially set my card up, setting the first two DACs to anything
> higher was too loud.  Why didn't they make the control response
> linear, I wonder?

There are 2 dacs (2 channel and 6 channel dac) on the board with different
attenuation, and ALSA is just a low level abstraction of this. If ALSA
changes to a dB scale in the future then this wouldn't really matter.

> BTW, do you know what the other controls in the mixer do?  Deemphasis
> seems to be some kind of frequency filter, but I'm not sure.  It looks
> like the Multi Track Internal Clock is to synchronize the various
> inputs/outputs.  Multi Track Peaks seem to keep setting themselves,
> not sure what they do.  It seems like Rate Locking might have
> something to do with the Internal Clock.  Rate Reset?

Rate Reset will reset the internal clock to the previous sample rate, and
turning this control off will keep the internal clock set at the current
sample rate.

> Now I just have to start understanding ALSA so I can get OSS games to
> work with this great-sounding card!  From my understanding of
> asound.conf, I should be able to put in a default format conversion
> rule for output, since the Rev only supports S32_LE.

It isn't necessary to explicity define a default rule for format conversion to
S32_LE in your .asoundrc as ALSA lib will do this for you if your application
is set-up to use the 'default' device or user defined device with the plug
plugin e.g. 'plug:surround51', 'plug:spdif', 'plughw:0,0' etc, or 'anything'
as defined in your .asoundrc as follows:

pcm.anything {
        type plug
        slave {
                pcm "hw:0,0"
        }
}

Have a look at the following documentation for more info:

http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/alsa-lib/pcm.html#pcm
http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/alsa-lib/pcm_plugins.html#pcm_plugins

> Are all the channels exposed as device nodes in /dev?

The ALSA character devices are listed in /dev/snd.