Hi,

  I have kernel 2.6.1-mm5 that has alsa 1.0.1 (I believe) However it does not have all
the card
drivers. In  particular, I want au88xx support. How do I get this driver in? I am
thinking of the
following two approaches. But I am clueless as to whether any one of them is correct
or if it will
work.

 Method 1)

    - Get alsa source 1.0.1
    - compile but do not install
    - Just install the au88xx.o and depmod as usual
    - modprobe au8820.

 Method 2)

    - Recompile kernel with alsa as module only
    - do not install alsa module from the kernel compile
    - compile alsa 1.0.1 and do a complete install shadowing kernel module

Both do not sound correct to me as one compile is not aware of the other compile but
still I am
asking the two pieces to work together.

Please help how to do this the right way. If it is not too much trouble please CC me
also a copy of
your answer.

Thanks and Regards
Ramesh