--- Mark Knecht <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-01-23 at 09:58, Dave Neuer wrote:
> > What about firewire-based units?

<snip>

> > I don't recall seeing anything like an
> ieee1394-audio
> > module in ALSA.
> >
> > Dave
>
> Yes. I just voted with my pocketbook yesterday and
> ordered my Digi 002
> Rack. I doubt I'll ever be able to run it under
> Linux, but it would be
> nice. Digi doesn't release their interface specs.
>
> There are some Linux-1394 61883-6 audio drivers out
> there (not MLan, but
> at least 61883) and there is some work done by Bob
> Ham in the Jack area
> to use 1394. There's certainly interest.
>
> - Mark

Bob Ham's work just opens /dev/amdtp, instead of the
standard ALSA devices? That seems less than
wonderfull. Does standard IEEE1394 audio not have a
full a feature set as USB-AUDIO, or am I
misunderstanding the degree to which usb-audio fits
within the ALSA framework?

If I could get my hands on a device, I'd be happy to
try to whip up an equivalent ALSA driver. I'm actively
looking for kernel/driver hacking projects right now
anyway, and I have a laptop that's crying out for a
high performance (i.e., at least 24-bit/96KHz) audio
interface.

Does your fw rack not conform to the relevant
standards?

Dave