At Mon, 26 Jan 2004 01:31:58 +0100,
Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Hallo,
> Mark Knecht hat gesagt: // Mark Knecht wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 2004-01-25 at 13:48, Bill Unruh wrote:
> > > No, those lines (/dev/mixer, /dev/dsp,...)  are NOT needed in
> > > /etc/modules.conf, and may get in the way of the assignment of the
> > > devices. If OSS emulation is running properly those devices will
> > > get set up automatically.
> >
> > I'll try removing them later today. I found 100's of examples of
> > other people using these just using Google for a moment, so it's
> > clear I'm not doing this on my own.
>
> There are a lot of urban legends floating around, too. ;)
>
> Actually all this is heritage from OSS. A decent description comes
> with the kernel sources in Documentation/sound/Introduction
>
> Quoting a relevant part from this:
>
>   Module Loading:
>   ===============
>
>   When a sound card is first referenced and sound is modular, the
>   sound system will ask for the sound devices to be loaded. Initially
>   it requests that the driver for the sound system is loaded. It then
>   will ask for sound-slot-0, where 0 is the first sound card.
>   (sound-slot-1 the second and so on). Thus you can do
>
>   alias sound-slot-0 sb
>
>   To load a soundblaster at this point.  If the slot loading does not
>   provide the desired device - for example a soundblaster does not
>   directly provide a midi synth in all cases then it will request
>   "sound-service-0-n" where n is
>
>   0     Mixer
>   2     MIDI
>   3, 4  DSP audio
>
> Quote end.
>
> You see that slots and services are no invention by Takashi or
> Jaroslav but are something, they had to deal with. The respective
> lines in an ALSA module conf now take care, that the ALSA OSS
> emulation modules are loaded when the Kernel asks for a sound
> service (sic!).

additional note:

with the ALSA 1.0.x and 2.6.x kernel, you don't have to specify these
redundant aliases.  these aliases are built in.  hence, you'll need
only two aliases per card, such as

        alias snd-card-0 snd-emu10k1
        alias sound-slot-0 snd-emu10k1

the former is for ALSA and the latter for OSS emulation.
for the second card,

        alias snd-card-1 snd-hdsp
        alias sound-slot-1 snd-hdsp

alsaconf script will check and determine them automatically.

unfortunately, 2.6.x main tree still doesn't include the latest ALSA
patchset, but mm tree does.

Takashi