Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-01-23 at 09:38, Clemens Ladisch wrote:
>
> > > One other related frustration about Alsa MIDI is that under Gentoo at
> > > least my MidiSport is never recognized by Alsa until I hotplug it.
> >
> > Is it recognized when you run "modprobe snd-usb-audio"?
> > Is there a snd-usb-audio entry in your modules.conf?

> 2) After booting, if I do an lsmod snd-usb-midi is loaded, but
> apparently not attached to the MidiSport:
>
> Module                  Size  Used by    Not tainted
> snd-usb-audio          44928   0  (unused)

This "used" number doesn't matter, you have to look into
/proc/asound/cards to see if it's attached.

> 3) I think my modules.conf file is OK, but I can always use a pair of
> more experienced eyes.
> alias snd-card-0 snd-via82xx
> options snd-via82xx dxs_support=4
>
> alias snd-card-1 snd-hdsp
> alias snd-card-2 snd-usb-audio

Whenever you use more than one driver, it's a good idea to specify the
index parameter:

  options snd-via82xx index=0 dxs_support=4
  options snd-hdsp index=1
  options snd-usb-audio index=2

(Although this doesn't matter when the startup already loads the
drivers in the correct order.)

> 4) In usbview the device is RED and UNKNOWN, but the device ID info is
> there:
>
> 5) If I pull the cable (I cannot right now as I'm remote from the
> machine) the device gets firmware loaded and starts operating.

Apparently, the hotplug scripts aren't run when you boot.

There should be a script rc.hotplug somwhere which should be
executable, and run by some other startup script.

HTH
Clemens