On Sun, 8 Feb 2004, Stuart Pook wrote:

> on Sat, 7 Feb 2004 14:12:54 -0800 (PST), Bill Unruh said

> > What problems do you have with the Audiophile?
>
> I'm the unhappy owner so I guess that I will answer.
>
>       * The Audiophile USB has a face condition at startup.  Getting
face? Is this race?

>               it to work may take several attempts.
>       * it does not do 48kHz
>       * it crashes after some hours of continues use
>       * it doesn't work at all with Linux 2.6
>
> Please see http://www.infres.enst.fr/~pook/configs/audiophile_usb.html
> for the gory details.  Any suggestions are welcome as it is not at all
> certain that I will be able to return it.
>
> > I am using the M-Audio Transit. After some work, we have gotten it to
> > work, with a bit of a kludge necessary to load teh firmware.
>
> If the shop will not give me my money back I may choose the M-Audio
> Transit.  Does it work with Linux 2.6?  What version of Alsa are you
> using?  Can you explain the kludges to load the firmware?

No idea about 2.6. I am using 2.4.22 with Alsa 1.0.2c.
See http://www.theory.physics.ubc.ca/transit.html for details of the
kludge. It does not always seem to work if the card is plugged in during
bootup, but an unplugging and replugging in seem to get it going (or
plugging it in after bootup)
Also it is a good idea to run alsactl restore after the card has come up.

Note that Takashi has put in some patches which separates the format III
output streams from the others. As it was the system tried to use those
in 16 bit mode, and then did not work. This is why I said in that note
to relable them a s 32 bit (S32) so they would not mess up the 16 bit
stream.

In 16 bit it goes up to 48000, in 24 bit to 96000 with aplay/arecord.
Note that the oss emulation under alsa does not support 24 bit. Ie you
have to use alsa aware programs to get 24 bit. I have also not tested it
for noise and distortion in 24 bitmode (my testing program works though
/dev/dsp--- /www.theory.physics.ubc.ca/soundcard.html. Actually I am
just extending it and fixing some bugs, so version 12 (a gui version)
will be out very soon.)

> > But the card, a bare usb card ( will record and play separately at 96000
> > and do duplex at 48000 or less.) It has only two inputs-- line in and
> > line out (with the possibility of doing digital, but I have not tested
> > that).
>
> That is all I need. And the S/N figures that you gave seem fine.

On recording it is best to turn down the mic input to less than 50 in
alsamixer (kmix or aumix do not work). The input decreases the
sensititivity by about 20 dB from full on to full off (ie full off is
not off) and the mic input seems to be on at all times (ie no mute it
seems).If you go much above 50 the recording noise increases by almost
about 5dB. at max (measured wrt the noise power at lower slider
settings)

The noise level on playback seems to be independent of slider setting
(ie noise level above the +-1bit/sample noise level, not with respect to
signal amplitude) but since I measure the card against itself, I cannot
tell if this is recording or playback noise. Anything else I have in
soundcards is MUCH worse than the transit.
It's one advantage is price-- mine was $99 Cdn.

On the minus side-- will they ever find the bug in the USB software
which prevents Linux from recognising the firmware loaded card
properly and which makes the kludge necessary? Will M-Audio become more
Linux friendly and help make their cards work properly?