On Sun, 08 Feb 2004, Bill Unruh wrote:

> >     * The Audiophile USB has a face condition at startup.  Getting
> face? Is this race?

er, yes, race (I've not yet had a face condition with my Audiophile)

> > If the shop will not give me my money back I may choose the M-Audio
> > Transit.  Does it work with Linux 2.6?  What version of Alsa are you
> No idea about 2.6. I am using 2.4.22 with Alsa 1.0.2c.

Has any one used the M-Audio Transit USB with Linux 2.6?
Frank Barknecht tested the device with 2.6 but I
guess that his tests were done without the firmware loaded
(http://www.mail-archive.com/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/msg11859.html).

Can you add the output of lsusb -vv (run as root) before and after loading
the firmware to your web page (or mail them to me)?  That way I can at
least check if all the alternative interfaces are correctly numbered.

> See http://www.theory.physics.ubc.ca/transit.html for details of the
> kludge.

The kludge looks ugly!  I guess that this is not a card that I would want
to buy (if I have another choice) even if the sound is good!

> tell if this is recording or playback noise. Anything else I have in
> soundcards is MUCH worse than the transit.
> It's one advantage is price-- mine was $99 Cdn.

Yes, and thanks for doing the hard work in getting to work.

> On the minus side-- will they ever find the bug in the USB software
> which prevents Linux from recognising the firmware loaded card
> properly and which makes the kludge necessary?

I guess that they will one day.  Have you asked the linux-usb developpers?
Perhaps it is better in Linux 2.6 (as the USB code has been rewritten).

>  Will M-Audio become more
> Linux friendly and help make their cards work properly?

I grumbled to M-Audio about the Audiophile USB and the guy who replied
said that my complaint was being passed up the chain.

Stuart