On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 10:13:15 +0100 (CET)
Jaroslav Kysela <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Sun, 29 Feb 2004, cyberpro wrote:
>
> > It doesn't work.
> >
> > "....It seems that aoss does not support libc's fopen() function
> > calls. So all OSS apps that use the sound devices by calling fopen()
> > won't work with aoss..."
>
> Note that only one known application which uses this ugly access to
> sound device is sox.

Hmm, well, Teamspeak uses it, too.. And i can imagine that there's a
whole bunch of others.. I wonder, if using libc's fopen() for accessing
/dev/dsp is "wrong". And i also wonder if this is documented
smoewhere...  Oh, and the aoss-docs also don't talk about mmap'ed sound
access. Games like Enemy Territory and Quake3 use OSS and mmap'ing. I
didn't get ET to use sound with aoss [I always get an error like:
"/dev/dsp: Invalid argument   Could not mmap /dev/dsp"].. What is the
status of mmap emu with aoss?

Here's my .asoundrc. I experimented with turning on mmap emulation for
my hw:0,0 alias to no avail:

pcm.hardware {
        type hw
        card 0
        device 0
        mmap_emulation true
}
#asym fun start here. we define one pcm device called "dmixed"
pcm.dmixed {
        ipc_key 1025
        type dmix
        slave {
                pcm "hardware"
#               pcm "hw:0,0"
#               period_size 2048
        }
}

#one called "dsnooped" for capturing
pcm.dsnooped {
        ipc_key 2027
        type dsnoop
#       slave.pcm "hw:0,0"
        slave.pcm "hardware"
}

#and this is the real magic
pcm.asymed {
        type asym
        playback.pcm "dmixed"
        capture.pcm "dsnooped"
}

#a quick plug plugin for above device to do the converting magic. saves
#typing when settng the pcm name in an alsa app
pcm.pasymed {
        type plug
        slave.pcm "asymed"
}

#a ctl device to keep xmms happy
ctl.pasymed {
        type hw
        card 0
}

#the default pcm device for alsa apps:
#pcm.!default {
#       type plug
#       slave.pcm "asymed"
#}

#here we try to point the aoss script to our asymed device
pcm.dsp0 {
        type plug
        slave.pcm "asymed"
}