On Sun, 29 Feb 2004, Florian Schmidt wrote:

> On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 10:13:15 +0100 (CET)
> Jaroslav Kysela <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 29 Feb 2004, cyberpro wrote:
> >
> > > It doesn't work.
> > >
> > > "....It seems that aoss does not support libc's fopen() function
> > > calls. So all OSS apps that use the sound devices by calling fopen()
> > > won't work with aoss..."
> >
> > Note that only one known application which uses this ugly access to
> > sound device is sox.
>
> Hmm, well, Teamspeak uses it, too.. And i can imagine that there's a
> whole bunch of others.. I wonder, if using libc's fopen() for accessing
> /dev/dsp is "wrong". And i also wonder if this is documented
> smoewhere...  Oh, and the aoss-docs also don't talk about mmap'ed sound
> access. Games like Enemy Territory and Quake3 use OSS and mmap'ing. I
> didn't get ET to use sound with aoss [I always get an error like:
> "/dev/dsp: Invalid argument   Could not mmap /dev/dsp"].. What is the
> status of mmap emu with aoss?

The mmap() access might work with latest aoss (1.0.3 in CVS), but I don't
have any test machine with working OpenGL and I'm too much lazy to study
how to enable software rendering, so I don't test these applications
directly.

I will release 1.0.3 packages probably today, so you can give a try.

> Here's my .asoundrc. I experimented with turning on mmap emulation for
> my hw:0,0 alias to no avail:
>

> pcm.hardware {
>       type hw
>       card 0
>       device 0
>       mmap_emulation true

It's required only for GUS Classic cards, otherwise it's useless.

> }

                                                Jaroslav

-----
Jaroslav Kysela <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>