Sorry for the delay in following up on this, busy with school & work :(

I changed the option line so that it matches the one given below by
Keith which is 'known' to work on Dell Latitude CP laptops, and the
results do not change. modprobing the driver still returns no such
device or device is busy. Tried alsaconf again, no luck.

Is it safe to conclude that linux + the Cirrus Logic card in the Dell
Latitude CP M233ST just don't like each other? I wonder if the card even
works... perhaps i should install windows to verify that it does indeed
still work (it has been about 8 months since windows was last on this
laptop, at which point sound did work properly). Is there any way to
derive information about the card from a working windows driver?

Thank you for your help with this keith & everyone :] even if nothing
comes from it, at least we tried!

-smthmlk