tommi,

> > when i choose 'digital mix' i get neither input nor output. i assume this is
> > the key bit preventing me from doing mixing (two applications playing sound
> > simultaneously is what i have in mind).
>
> Do you see any movement in the vu-meters? Make sure you have your dac
> volumes up. Unfortunately I don't fully remember the envy24control with
> 1010LT, but Audiophile has 'Analog volume' tab where the dac volumes are.

i don't know exactly but there is an "analog volume" which i have set at
100.

the VU movements i get are on HW in 1/2 for input, and PCM out 1-9 for
playback. these aren't affected by the patchbay settings.

> > should my patchbay have more than five columns? besides HW out, all the rest
> > are S/PDIF, so i don't see how to access PCM out 1-8 and HW in 3-8.
>
> propably a misconfiguration here. It should show 8 out columns and 8 in
> and two spfid columns. Does the 'Monitor Mixer' tab correspond to the
> 'Patchbay/Router' tab, eg. does it also show lots of spdifs.

no, they don't correspond - totally different lists. does this mean i need
to become an .asoundrc hacker? :/

> And what's do you mean by HW out and PCM out? They are the same?

apparently HW out is the name of two channels (columns in the patchbay); and
PCM out is a couple of options in those columns. in the mixer, i have 9 "PCM
out" meters and nothing for "HW out". what is the relationship between them
supposed to be?

> Envy24control can be started with limiting the inputs and outputs shown.
> Try setting them to max.
>
> envy24control -i 8 -o 10 -s 2

this produces the default behavior, no different channels at all. the
maximum inputs is indeed 8 (again, analog signal comes in on 1/2).

> Are you sure you have clean install of alsa? I have four spdifs in my
> patchbay but I have tampered with the /usr/share/alsa/cards/ICE1712.conf
> to get the spdif capture work with alsa 0.9.8

i can't swear that any of the config is right. frankly it's daunting. if i
knew what i were looking for i could try to repair it, but perhaps it would
be better to steal a working asoundrc from someone else with this card.

thanks so much tommi!

aaron.

                           -     aaron brick     -
                           -    [EMAIL PROTECTED]    -