Thanks for the replies! Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, but I've
been away.

> > > I have an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 and am able to listen to input on the
> > > S/PDIF when using envy24control to patch it directly to HW 1 & 2 out. I
> > > have not been able to get the S/PDIF to work through the mixer or be
> > > able to record from any input.
>
> works for me, mixer and record. I'll volunteer to help you out, but you'll
> just have to wait over the weekend.

I've been trying to get this card working to it's full capabilities for
over two years, do a few more days or weeks won't hurt.

> > > I posted a message over a week ago asking for configuration help and
> > > have not received a single reply. I find a lot of other postings on the
> > > list asking for help for this card, but there are no definitive answers.
> >
> > Yeah, one problem with Linux/Open source is that folks either ignore you
> > or tell you to fix it yourself.  With commercial software they just ignore
> > you if they can't help. :)
>
> No. The problem is that some* people expect that their questions will be
> answered 100% 24/7, and all this for free. People here are just
> volunteers, not helpdesk, and they will spend their spare time here trying
> to help others. Sometimes they also get frustrated and give answers like
> 'it is in the source, go find it'. Sometimes they get hurt by unthoughtful
> comments and have no motivation to help any further. Sometimes they just
> feel happy to help fellow users and share their wisdom. And also, sometimes
> they expect that their answers also should be answered promptly..
>
> (*) I don't try to say that any of you belong to this group. This is
> merely comment to the 'one problem with opensource' post.

I have found the vast majority of Linux users who help other users on
mailing lists to be very helpful and considerate. There are always a few
who for one reason or another are only there to show how arrogant they
are. I try to continue the helpful tradition where I can with my limited
knowledge.

>From reading the archives, it seems that the Audiophile 2496 is regarded
a great sounding card. The problem is that it is not as common as the
soundblasters, and as a result there are not many people who have gained
a thorough understanding of it.

I have been running Gentoo Linux for well over a year now, and have
learnt a great deal. With a little help, I have usually been able to
figure out how to do most things, but sound has me baffled.

> > > non-programmer. I cannot figure out which 2.6 kernel options are needed
> > > to fully exploit the card or what the configuration files should look
> > > like. I have tried many of the examples posted, but without success.
>
> I'm using 2.4, but if I recall correctly, spdif worked also with 2.6

Here's the results of lsmod on my system:
snd_seq_midi            8352  0
snd_ice1712            47304  0
snd_ice17xx_ak4xxx      4160  1 snd_ice1712
snd_ak4xxx_adda         6016  2 snd_ice1712,snd_ice17xx_ak4xxx
snd_cs8427             10816  1 snd_ice1712
snd_ac97_codec         64324  1 snd_ice1712
snd_i2c                 5824  2 snd_ice1712,snd_cs8427
snd_mpu401_uart         7872  1 snd_ice1712
snd_rawmidi            25120  2 snd_seq_midi,snd_mpu401_uart
snd_seq_oss            34752  0
snd_seq_midi_event      7936  2 snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_oss
snd_seq                55888  5
snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event
snd_seq_device          8136  4
snd_seq_midi,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq
snd_pcm_oss            53924  0
snd_pcm                98020  2 snd_ice1712,snd_pcm_oss
snd_page_alloc         11268  1 snd_pcm
snd_timer              25924  2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
snd_mixer_oss          19840  1 snd_pcm_oss
snd                    55844  16
snd_seq_midi,snd_ice1712,snd_ak4xxx_adda,snd_cs8427,snd_ac97_codec,snd_i2c,snd_mpu401_uart,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_pcm_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer,snd_mixer_oss

Here's the message I posted a couple of weeks ago with my configuration:
I am trying to get an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 fully operational.

I cannot seem go get the envy24control to mix the SPIDF input. I can
patch it to HW 1 & 2 Out fine, but when I route via the mixer there is
no sound. I can see the level bars moving as expected in the SPIDF In
section. The PCM 1 & 2 works fine in the mixer. I have tried
mute/unmute, levels, various clock rates, all to no avail.

I'm sure it is just a configuration problem but so far my searching has
not found the answers I need. I have spent days researching and
experimenting so please don't tell me to RTFM, I have. But, I have to
admit that I don't understand a lot of it.

Kernel is vanilla 2.6.5. Distribution is Gentoo. Alsa-lib version
1.0.3b, alsa-oss version 1.0.3a, alsa-utils version 1.0.3, and
alsa-tools version 1.0.3 are installed. The envy24control version is
0.1.0.

I get the following error messages while running envy24control:
Unable to read multi playback volume: No such file or directory
Unable to read multi playback switch: No such file or directory
Whenever a control is moved or changed, I get a similar error message
about writing.

I wish to use the card with arts and kde, with audio input on HW 1 & 2,
SPDIF, and PCM 1 & 2, and output on HW 1 & 2, and SPDIF. I also what to
be able to record from any of the inputs above.

I am not a musician, composing music, but just want to be able to play
and record in stereo.

The sound section of my kernel config:
#
# Sound
#
CONFIG_SOUND=y

#
# Advanced Linux Sound Architecture
#
CONFIG_SND=m
CONFIG_SND_TIMER=m
CONFIG_SND_PCM=m
CONFIG_SND_RAWMIDI=m
CONFIG_SND_SEQUENCER=m
CONFIG_SND_SEQ_DUMMY=m
CONFIG_SND_OSSEMUL=y
CONFIG_SND_MIXER_OSS=m
CONFIG_SND_PCM_OSS=m
CONFIG_SND_SEQUENCER_OSS=y
CONFIG_SND_RTCTIMER=m
# CONFIG_SND_VERBOSE_PRINTK is not set
# CONFIG_SND_DEBUG is not set

#
# Generic devices
#
CONFIG_SND_MPU401_UART=m
# CONFIG_SND_DUMMY is not set
# CONFIG_SND_VIRMIDI is not set
# CONFIG_SND_MTPAV is not set
# CONFIG_SND_SERIAL_U16550 is not set
CONFIG_SND_MPU401=m

#
# ISA devices
#
# CONFIG_SND_AD1816A is not set
# CONFIG_SND_AD1848 is not set
# CONFIG_SND_CS4231 is not set
# CONFIG_SND_CS4232 is not set
# CONFIG_SND_CS4236 is not set
# CONFIG_SND_ES968 is not set
# CONFIG_SND_ES1688 is not set
# CONFIG_SND_ES18XX is not set
# CONFIG_SND_GUSCLASSIC is not set
# CONFIG_SND_GUSEXTREME is not set
# CONFIG_SND_GUSMAX is not set
# CONFIG_SND_INTERWAVE is not set
# CONFIG_SND_INTERWAVE_STB is not set
# CONFIG_SND_OPTI92X_AD1848 is not set
# CONFIG_SND_OPTI92X_CS4231 is not set
# CONFIG_SND_OPTI93X is not set
# CONFIG_SND_SB8 is not set
# CONFIG_SND_SB16 is not set
# CONFIG_SND_SBAWE is not set
# CONFIG_SND_WAVEFRONT is not set
# CONFIG_SND_ALS100 is not set
# CONFIG_SND_AZT2320 is not set
# CONFIG_SND_CMI8330 is not set
# CONFIG_SND_DT019X is not set
# CONFIG_SND_OPL3SA2 is not set
# CONFIG_SND_SGALAXY is not set
# CONFIG_SND_SSCAPE is not set

#
# PCI devices
#
CONFIG_SND_AC97_CODEC=m
# CONFIG_SND_ALI5451 is not set
# CONFIG_SND_ATIIXP is not set
# CONFIG_SND_AU8810 is not set
# CONFIG_SND_AU8820 is not set
# CONFIG_SND_AU8830 is not set
# CONFIG_SND_AZT3328 is not set
# CONFIG_SND_BT87X is not set
# CONFIG_SND_CS46XX is not set
# CONFIG_SND_CS4281 is not set
# CONFIG_SND_EMU10K1 is not set
# CONFIG_SND_KORG1212 is not set
# CONFIG_SND_MIXART is not set
# CONFIG_SND_NM256 is not set
# CONFIG_SND_RME32 is not set
# CONFIG_SND_RME96 is not set
# CONFIG_SND_RME9652 is not set
# CONFIG_SND_HDSP is not set
# CONFIG_SND_TRIDENT is not set
# CONFIG_SND_YMFPCI is not set
# CONFIG_SND_ALS4000 is not set
# CONFIG_SND_CMIPCI is not set
# CONFIG_SND_ENS1370 is not set
# CONFIG_SND_ENS1371 is not set
# CONFIG_SND_ES1938 is not set
# CONFIG_SND_ES1968 is not set
# CONFIG_SND_MAESTRO3 is not set
# CONFIG_SND_FM801 is not set
CONFIG_SND_ICE1712=m
# CONFIG_SND_ICE1724 is not set
# CONFIG_SND_INTEL8X0 is not set
# CONFIG_SND_INTEL8X0M is not set
# CONFIG_SND_SONICVIBES is not set
# CONFIG_SND_VIA82XX is not set
# CONFIG_SND_VX222 is not set

#
# Open Sound System
#
# CONFIG_SOUND_PRIME is not set

I also have real time clock support set:
#
# Watchdog Cards
#
# CONFIG_WATCHDOG is not set
# CONFIG_HW_RANDOM is not set
# CONFIG_NVRAM is not set
CONFIG_RTC=y
# CONFIG_DTLK is not set
# CONFIG_R3964 is not set
# CONFIG_APPLICOM is not set
# CONFIG_SONYPI is not set

My /etc/modules.d/alsa file:

# Alsa 0.9.X kernel modules' configuration file.
# $Header:
/home/cvsroot/gentoo-x86/media-sound/alsa-utils/files/alsa-modules.conf-rc,v 1.1
2003/08/05 21:07:55 johnm Exp $

# ALSA portion
alias char-major-116 snd
# OSS/Free portion
alias char-major-14 soundcore

##
## IMPORTANT:
## You need to customise this section for your specific sound card(s)
## and then run `update-modules' command.
## Read alsa-driver's INSTALL file in /usr/share/doc for more info.
##
##  ALSA portion
alias snd-card-0 snd-ice1712
## alias snd-card-1 snd-ens1371
##  OSS/Free portion
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
## alias sound-slot-1 snd-card-1
##

# OSS/Free portion - card #1
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
##  OSS/Free portion - card #2
## alias sound-service-1-0 snd-mixer-oss
## alias sound-service-1-3 snd-pcm-oss
## alias sound-service-1-12 snd-pcm-oss

# alias /dev/mixer snd-mixer-oss
# alias /dev/dsp snd-pcm-oss
# alias /dev/midi snd-seq-oss

# Set this to the correct number of cards.
options snd cards_limit=1

My /etc/asound.conf file:

pcm.ice1712 {
   type hw
   card 0
   }

ctl.ice1712 {
   type hw
   card 0
   }

There are no .asoundrc files in the home directories. I use the system
wide file /etc/asound.conf above.

I would be grateful for any advice on how to change my configuration to
take full advantage of this card.

Darrell