Quoting Lee Revell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

Would deactivating
bandwidht checking work for me too, then?

Error -38 is not the same as error -28.  If you have bandwidth checking
enabled then certainly disable it (it's well known that it's broken).

I see.

Is this device connected through a hub?

Lee

Bloody hell, Lee! Sorry, you guys, I forgot to mention this. YES, I use
a hub, crappy MSI 4-port. WEll, guess what...I connected the Maya
directly to my laptops USB port and jack is working. woooooot!!!

I can get output from muse no prob and from other music making apps.
I tried running xmms but it complains and cannot start:

Input has 2 channels, soundcard uses 4 channels
No conversion is available

Also, the capture ports on the card produce extremely lov volume audio.
Playback volume is very much ok.
I tried cranking the volume up from alsamixer like this:

"alsamixer -c 2 -V capture" but it says " No mixer elems found".
When I run "alsamixer -c 2" I get 3 sliders for playback, although
Maya has 2 stereo outputs???!! I discovered that the third actually
controls one of the input channels, but driving it to 100 still produces low
volume audio. When I use my laptop's soundcard input the captured
volume is much much louder.

Also from Windows, the capture volume with the Maya is louder so I guess
I can rule out this being a problem with the device itself
but rather with settings somewhere.

Well, after a lot of trouble I can get my damn Maya 44USB partially
working.

All the people who shared their knowledge and time to help me - Respect.

I want to appologize for being such a dumbass and not trying to plug the
damn card directly to my USB port and see what happens. Stupid!

Hiram.

--
http://www.egoboobits.net/HiramAbiff