Bill Unruh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> On Fri, 7 Apr 2006, Lee Revell wrote:
>> On Fri, 2006-04-07 at 18:27 +0200, Matthias Koenig wrote:
>>> The correct Debian location for configuration files for new kernels
>>> is /etc/modprobe.d/.
>>> If you append the 2 option lines above to e.g. alsa-base it should
>>> work.
>>> You don't have to run update-modules, because it is obsolete.
>>
>> Seems a bit silly that such a simple task requires editing obscure
>> config files, that don't have a stable interface, and that you had to
>> post to this list to figure it out.

Of course, but the OP uses Debian and Debian is known to be used by
people who loves to edit silly configuration files ;-)

> Yes, it is one of the real shortcomings of Linux. One should be able to
> specify the order or loading on bootup.
>
> One possibility would be to put the module loading as early as possible
> into say /etc/rd.sysinit, but Linux really has to straighten this
> out. It is a kernel problem I think, not a distro problem.

What about hotpluggable devices which will just pop up at some random time?
You can't just load module snd-xyz on boot time, if device xyz is not there
at that moment.
The device index problem hit me first when I had booted with my USB Keyboard
switched on one time and off the other time, which resulted in different
indices for the devices. The index module option solves this problem, but of
course editing configuration files for module options is not that
user-friendly (there are also other drawbacks).

>> Does anyone know if any distro has solved this problem cleanly?  I know
>> Ubuntu has a nice interface for setting the default soundcard for ALSA
>> apps, but I don't think it can control the loading of drivers (which
>> determines which card binds to /dev/dsp for example).

No, my knowledge in distros is not that widespread.

Matthias