On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 15:09:30 -0400
Lee Revell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Sat, 2006-04-22 at 22:03 +0300, Sergei Steshenko wrote:
> > a) doesn't ALSA support LADSPA ?
> > b) does ALSA config language support insertion of LADSPA plugins
> > into only one channel (LFE in this case) ?
> >

> Sure it does, but I have yet to see a working config, and I don't
> understand .asoundrc syntax well enough to create one.
>
> Lee

"I don't understand .asoundrc syntax well enough to create one"

:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

- it was the funniest admission by an ALSA developer I ever read in this
list.

I thought a lot about .asoundrc syntax and I strongly believe the
language/syntax simply has no right to exist in a sense.

I mean, a language like Perl, Python, Ruby can adequately describe
what .asoundrc does, so if instead of .asoundrc syntax we use one of
the languages above, we, at least, have a well established parser which,
luckily, reports user syntax errors.

Not using an existing language normally causes half-hearted parsers
to be written in possibly QND manner. I witnessed excessive language
invention a lot in my career; replacing the unnecessarily invented
languages with well established ones was the key factor in solving
the problems.

The semantic check shouldn't be that hard to write, so semantic errors
would be reported too.

The good news is that, say, Perl (I'm in favor of Perl) has Inline.pm
module, which allows to relatively easy call anything written in C/C++,
as well as other languages.

The bad/unknown news is that I do not know whether ALSA has a well
documented HAL and API to it.

I mean, the realization of user configuration would mean first querying
HAL/it API in order to find out whether the requested functionality is
supported by the card(s), and then calling ALSA lib routines to implement
the requested functionality.

I would be interested to read documentation on ALSA HAL+API - if the one
exists.