On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 16:17:39 -0400
Lee Revell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Sat, 2006-04-22 at 23:11 +0300, Sergei Steshenko wrote:
> >
> > The main point of my reply was to suggest the developers not invent
> > languages in case the existing ones can serve the purpose.
> >
> > Relying on existing languages greatly increases the amount of
> > developers who would volunteer to write in them.
> >

> Well it's not a language like Perl or Python, it's just a static
> configuration syntax.
>
> It seems like XML would have been a better choice but I don't know all
> the factors that went into the design decision.
>
> > Of course, and again, the documentation on API/HAL is needed.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean, alsa-lib API is fully documented.
>
> Lee

Does XML have loops, ifs, etc. ?

Or it's just a data language ?

Suppose I want to assigns gains with 3db step for whatever reason.

In Perl I can write it the ugly-copy-paste way:

#---------------------
{
channel0 => 1,
channel2 => 1.41,
channel3 => 2,
}; # the returned hash ref
#=====================

Or, I can write it in a constructively lazy way:

#--------------------
my $db_step = 3;
my %hash;

for my $channel_number(0..4) # I want 5 channels
  {
  $hash{"channel$channel_number"} = 10 ** ($db_step * $channel_number / 20);
  }

\%hash; # the returned hash ref

My point is that in Perl one can compute configuration
data inside the config file, and then just to export it.