On Tue, 2006-05-23 at 20:00 +0100, Taiyo Rawle wrote:
> Hello all!
>
> I'm trying to set up an Alesis iO|2 USB interface, but
> I've ran into a few problems. I think they may just be
> configuration issues.
>
> Firstly, playback of stereo files through XMMS works,
> but playing a mono file puts white noise through the
> right hand output.

What output device is XMMS using?  It should use plughw:x where X is the
number of the card.

> Also, I seem to loose source mixing with this card
> (only one app can use it at a time) whereas it worked
> fine with my old PCI card (snd-emu10k1) which is still
> fitted.

Yes.  The emu10k1 does hardware mixing, the USB device does not.  You
would have to configure dmix or use a sound server like JACK for
multiple apps to access the card.

> I understand that the iO|2 only supports 24bit and all
> non-24bit audio needs to be converted before being
> sent to the card (could this cause the static with
> mono playback?). This leads me to another question,
> can I configure ALSA to do this automatically for all
> programs so that games and the like work with it?

Yes, just configure your apps to use plughw:X.

> Finally, I get weirdness when I unplug or re-plug the
> iO|2 - XMMS won't play any more (I get the error box
> telling me about misconfigured soundcards) and
> restarting ALSA doesn't help. Other programs continue
> to use the PCI card.

What kernel version?

Bad things will happen if you disconnect a USB audio device during
playback.

> I'm using Mandriva 2006, the shipped kernel comes with
> alsa 1.0.9b, I also have 2.6.16.16 with alsa 1.0.11

It's best to use the newer version.