Hi,

On Monday 05 June 2006 03:20, Claude Yu wrote:
> When Linux bootup,  building processes showed 2 errors in [FATAL] flags
> 1.  Starting ALSA version 1.0.9b: (riptide) start servicce sound
> (Y)/(N)/(C) ? (Y) Loading sound module(snd-riptide) FATAL: Module
> snd-riptide not found Fatal: Error running install command for snd-riptide
> [Fatal]

Sounds like the snd-riptide.ko file isn't installed. Perhaps Mandrake
(Mandriva?) doesn't include this driver by default, or you need to install an
extra alsa-drivers package to get it? (I'm not a Mandrake user so I don't
know how they structure their packages.)

It's not worth bothering with alsa 0.3 or 0.4; they're very out of date and
it's likely that none of the programs that came with Mandrake 2006 will work
with them even if you can get them to install. I'd suggest removing them and
reinstalling the Mandrake alsa-* packages.

If you're going to install the drivers manually (it shouldn't really be
necessary if Mandrake have done their job properly), you'll need to get
alsa-drivers-1.0.11.tar.bz2 (you might as well use the latest version) from
the ftp site then configure it using the --with-cards=riptide option. It
would also be a good idea, if you're doing it this way, to get the latest
versions of alsa-lib and alsa-utils to go with the drivers.

Remember, though, that if you do it manually, it'll break when the kernel gets
updated and will need reinstalling manually again, so you're probably better
off using official RPMs if you can.

Hope this helps,
Stephen