Hello

While watching hi-definitions video, I've noticed a lots of audio
drop-outs when watching movies with raw ac3 on spdif output (ac3
decoding is done by my Yamaha amplifier).

Long story short, I've been able to reproduce the problem when playing
a raw ac3 stream with ac3dec while loading my SATA drive.

I.e. run simultaneously:
- ac3dec -C en.ac3
- md5sum *.avi > /dev/null (on a sata drive)

In this case, the audio is horribly chopped.

So far, I've noticed that:
- Playing ac3 while loading PATA drive (same commands) works perfectly
- Playing PCM (with mplayer) on spdif while loading SATA leads to high
  frequency noises (like a constinuous scritch-scritch)

Since this problem is related to SATA, I don't know if it's a kernel
bug or an alsa bug (or both ??).

My system:
- Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.11rc4 (Wed Mar 22
10:27:24 2006 UTC).
- AMD Athlon(tm) XP 3200+
- spdif output on Sound blaster Live 5.12 (emu10k1 driver)
- Debian kernel 2.6.17-2-k7 v 2.6.17-8 (roughly 2.6.17.11)

Does anyone know how to fix this problem ?

Should I log a bug to alsa or kernel ?

Thanks