On 2007-11-27 12:22 pm, Rene Herman wrote:
> Mmm, and now that I look at it again:
>       ampl = 32767.0 / pow(10, -dbfs / 20);
> is the same as:
>          ampl = 32767 * pow(10, dbfs / 20);
> which looks somewhat nicer.

How about a copyright, license, contact and version info,
and a bit of a readme in the header comments ?

I'd like to package it and maybe try to wrap some kind
of simple Qt4 GUI hearing test applet around it, one day.

It would be really cool to have some proggie that could
be run, every 3 months or so, to test ones hearing and
keep the results in SQLite (or online) and also provide
some kind of Jack/ALSA based EQ bias based on the stored
results. Like, ultra cool.

I recently got some good cans and a headphone amp and I
am amazed at what I can now hear, and NOT hear, so it
would be genuinely useful to have a custom EQ thingie
that I could apply to any computer (at least) generated
music that adapted to my failing ears over the years.

A point is that these kind of "hearing tests" are almost
useless in absolute terms but are indeed meaningful when
tested and accumulated results are compared with for any
particular individual. The consistent mean is to set up
the listening environment to just be able to hear 1khz
at (about, I forget the right level) -50db and then run
the rest of the tests from that reference. As long as
this reference marker is used for each testing session
then the results can be reliable for that individual.

--markc