Hi Bill Unruh!

 On 2007.11.24 at 10:11:16 -0800, Bill Unruh wrote next:

Thank you for all your responses!

> That is quite normal It is in fact good hearing (although many kids can
> hear up to 22-25 kHz). And it will get worse, especially if you like

That's the main reason why I asked - I heard that people can hear 22khz
or about that when they are young, than listening gets worse and they
don't hear very high frequencies anymore - and since I consider myself
still young ;), I was kind of disappointed by the fact that I can't hear
not only 22khz, but even 20khz, and when I discovered that I can't hear
even 18khz, I was kind if scared - is my hearing going down due to
headphone usage? Thanks for clarifying this issue.

> listening to music on your headphones. Almost all headphone users have
> their headphones cranked up WAY to loud, and that destroys the nerve cells
> in the ear. A bus, going up a hill, has sound levels inside of the order

Hey hey, I know what's good for me ;) I only listen to headphones in
quiet places nowadays and at comfortable volume levels.

> of 80dB and in order to hear the music people crank up their heaphones to
> 90 or 100 dB. After only a few years of that your threshold will be down to

Actually there are solutions, like good in-ear noise isolation
headphones, for example ER6 and ER4 are pretty good (though expensive) -
http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er6.aspx, with background isolation over
-30dB. Actually I thought about using such thing when I'm outside, the
only problem is that I think it may be too dangerous to walk in the city
and cross the streets with such isolation. There are also active
noise-cancelling headphones, though I'm not too fond of them.

> 14kHz then 8kHz then 3kHz. With any luck you will effectively be deaf by the
> time you are 40, and can join the ranks of almost all rock musicians.

It can't be that scary. You mean that all people who are listening to
headphones in bus are going to end like this? We'll become a deaf nation
then.

Nature must have thought of something to prevent this from happening.
Or, science will help ;)

--

Vladimir