22.02.08, 02:42, "Florian" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Hi,

> on our IBM/Lenovo T60 laptop, we want higher audio quality than

> the built-in HD-Audio, especially low latency - in the range of 1

> millisecond or lower.

> Can anyone recommend a PCCard/Cardbus soundcard, or possibly a

> USB card supported by alsa and which you've been able to run with

> low latency?

I'm not an expert in low latency sound processing, but still should warn you
about usb sound cards. It's not that their design cause them to be problematic,
but way of connection instead. You have to keep in mind following limitation:
a) You'll have to make sure that no 1.1 or 1.0 usb devices resides on the same
bus, and this can be problematic, specially with laptops, b) usb as it is may
not guarantee you low latency operations since it is essentially designed to
provide exclusive access to one device at a time. While one can use usb hubs
with switching and buffering capabilities it is still a cumbersome way to
connect sound.

Myself I tried several solutions, including terratec usb xs sound card, and
ended with echo indigo io. I think You should give it a try. At least take a
look at it's specs at
http://www.echoaudio.com/Products/CardBus/IndigoIO/index.php

--

Regards,