> very good sound reproduction) but I certainly have never
> tested its latency. Not sure how you would do so, since your
> ear certainly cannot hear time differences on the level of
> msec.

the beauty (and the whole idea of using real-time audio for
showcasing realtime systems) is that you WILL hear if there is an
i/o problem anywhere in the path from user app to hardware: even
4 samples "missing" (i.e. an underrun) will cause a very sharp
transient in the outgoing signal, which is audible as a click.
You can try that with any ALSA app that lets you set the buffer
size to arbitrary values.

And, as you suggest, the signal's frequency spectrum will contain
very high frequencies, so we've created a tool to automatically
detect underruns from the recorded audio output of the soundcard,
(and to correlate that with the underruns reported by ALSA).

Later,
Florian

--
Florian Bomers