On 2/22/2008 1:40 PM, James Shatto wrote:
> The USB bus speed probably isn't going to ensure low latency.
> Most USB soundcards seem limited to two channels and 48kHz.
> I'd recommend a PCCard/Cardbus or Firewire device.

yes, I assumed that.

> Is there any reason you're wanting to use something other than
> the onboard soundcard?  Aside from most of them sounding about

we manage to get "down" to 8 milliseconds buffer size at CD
quality without glitches with the onboard soundcard (Intel HDA).
However, we would like to use sub-millisecond buffer sizes.

> as low end as one can get.  I'm gonna assume that your java is
> compiled, and not interpreted at run time.  And that you've

no, the whole point is that we're running an actual Java VM.
Modern VM's don't interprete Java byte code anymore, it's
compiled at runtime (JIT) and even dynamically optimized at
runtime, which is why Java can be faster than C/C++...(despite
what most people believe). But the problem for realtime systems
is the garbage collector which normally interferes. The research
group I'm working for is developing a VM with a garbage collector
that allows realtime behavior of the Java app. An old version of
that system is illustrated here:
http://domino.research.ibm.com/comm/research_projects.nsf/pages/metronome.harmonicon.html

> stripped your system down to ensure low latency.  No autofs,
> dbus, avahi, apache, mysql, exim, cups, proftp, cron, atd,
> portmap, nfs, .... running while you're making said demo.  And
> that audio has been given realtime permissions at the user
> level.  Plus a low latency kernel.

pretty much all of the above :)

Thanks,
Florian