Diego,

> As I understand it, the proposal does not intend to keep a
> registry of the URIs used for discovery (it is a parameter
> for a query using HTTP GET) and, therefore, ALTO could
> mandate its own URI, in the same way the U-NAPTR lookup
> defines the string to be queried.
>
> The requirements on external registrations are essentially
> the same in both cases (none, I think).

U-NAPTR application service tags are registered with IANA, and that is what the
current ALTO discovery draft does.

I wonder how and where ALTO would register its URI if it were using
draft-jones-simple-web-discovery for discovery. Probably in new IANA registry?

Such questions would probably have to be sorted out elsewhere in the IETF
before ALTO discovery could rely on draft-jones-simple-web-discovery.

> My point is that an
> ALTO client would have to rely only in queries aligned with
> the rest of the transport protocol, i.e.
> plain HTTP(S), and not be required to include support for
> specific DNS queries.

I don't really understand your argument regarding the client. The ALTO client
has to perform DNS queries anyway, i. e., DNS is not a new protocol on the
client side.

However, my impression is that draft-jones-simple-web-discovery could result in
quite some complexity on the server side. My understanding of the proposal is
that, if applied to ALTO, an access network provider would have to run a Web
server for each access network domain names announced in the DHCP option
according to RFC 5986. I could imagine that this results in quite some
operational issues for an ISP:

- Today, an operator might not run Web servers for domain names such as
"dsl.westcoast.myisp.net", i. e., this might require a new server
infrastructure. Compared to that, the DNS infrastructure already exists and
just has to be extended by entries.

- There may be synchronization issues, e. g. in case of domain mame
renumbering, because different databases have to be kept in sync. Right now,
for ALTO discovery to work well, an ISP may have to keep DHCP and DNS in sync,
which are both well-established network services. With
draft-jones-simple-web-discovery, a third Web infrastructure has to be taken
into account.

- I could imagine that load balancing mechanisms and strategies for DNS could
be quite different from Web load balancing, also taking into account HTTP
proxies etc. ALTO discovery requires that a topologically close server is
discovered. The DNS infrastructure is a network service and thus somehow linked
to topology, unlike a Web platform.

Right now, all the points are speculation. It might be doable to engineer an
ALTO discovery solution based on draft-jones-simple-web-discovery, if it
becomes an IETF standard. But, as of now, I don't really understand what the
benefit would be for ALTO.

Michael