Diego,

> Hi Michael,
>
> On 9 Nov 2012, at 20:53 , Scharf, Michael (Michael) wrote:
> > U-NAPTR application service tags are registered with IANA,
> and that is what the current ALTO discovery draft does.
> >
> > I wonder how and where ALTO would register its URI if it
> were using draft-jones-simple-web-discovery for discovery.
> Probably in new IANA registry?
> >
> > Such questions would probably have to be sorted out
> elsewhere in the IETF before ALTO discovery could rely on
> draft-jones-simple-web-discovery.
>
> Hmmm, I think you have a point here. But I'll investigate
> whether there is a URN namespace associated with DNS names,
> so an URI built according to current registration could be
> directly used.

My main point is that this has to be sorted out e. g. in APPAREA before we can
rely on an RFC in that space. It is unclear to me whether
draft-jones-simple-web-discovery will be a mature and widely used technique any
time soon.

> > I don't really understand your argument regarding the
> client. The ALTO client has to perform DNS queries anyway, i.
> e., DNS is not a new protocol on the client side.
>
> Indeed, but my take is that the client relies on DNS in an
> indirect way, by requesting HTTP(S) connections that use DNS
> to parse the URL, but not directly accessing the DNS
> interface. Therefore, using HTTP(S) again would be the most
> natural way to perform discovery.

Sure, a HTTP(S) discovery mechanisms has benefits in a Web world. But DNS also
has benefits. There is an engineering tradeoff.

Thus, I disagree that HTTP(S) is the "most natural way".

> > However, my impression is that
> draft-jones-simple-web-discovery could result in quite some
> complexity on the server side. My understanding of the
> proposal is that, if applied to ALTO, an access network
> provider would have to run a Web server for each access
> network domain names announced in the DHCP option according
> to RFC 5986. I could imagine that this results in quite some
> operational issues for an ISP:
> >
> > - Today, an operator might not run Web servers for domain
> names such as "dsl.westcoast.myisp.net", i. e., this might
> require a new server infrastructure. Compared to that, the
> DNS infrastructure already exists and just has to be extended
> by entries.
>
> Deploying virtual Web servers is a rather trivial task (in a
> typical Apache setup, we are talking about adding a few lines
> to configuration files), and you need Web servers anyway to
> run the ALTO base protocol

My concern is that RFC 5986 announces an access network domain name, such as
"dsl.westcoast.myisp.net".

In my understanding, draft-jones-simple-web-discovery requires that a Web
server is running at
https://sl.westcoast.myisp.net/.well-known/simple-web-discovery . Furthermore,
unless I miss something, there is no need for an DNS entry that maps
"dsl.westcoast.myisp.net" to specific host right now.

Thus, for draft-jones-simple-web-discovery to work with RFC 5986, an ISP might
have to add new DNS entries for each access network domain name, pointing to a
Web server, that then figures out the closest ALTO server URI. With U-NAPTR,
the DNS server just gives the closest ALTO server URI directly.

In summary:

- Both variants are likely to require new DNS entries
- draft-jones-simple-web-discovery requires one more indirection, i. e., one
more system to configure, and one more system that has to be aware of the
network topology to figure out the closest ALTO server, etc.

Obviously, an alternative would be to specify a new DHCP option that directly
announces the URI of the SWD Web Server. That is not very different to a DHCP
option that just encodes the ALTO server URI. This is all doable, at least in
principle. But the approach of encoding URIs in DHCP got pretty strong pushback
in previous ALTO meetings, as far as I recall.

> > - There may be synchronization issues, e. g. in case of
> domain mame renumbering, because different databases have to
> be kept in sync. Right now, for ALTO discovery to work well,
> an ISP may have to keep DHCP and DNS in sync, which are both
> well-established network services. With
> draft-jones-simple-web-discovery, a third Web infrastructure
> has to be taken into account.
>
> Again, this maintenance is straightforward, since it is
> related to dealing with virtual servers in any modern Web
> server framework. It is more a matter of which branch in an
> organization has access to DHCP, DNS, and Web servers for
> infratsructural matters. My point is that DNS is usually the
> most hard to change, due to it being a critical service for
> many others.

My point is that ALTO server discovery has to figure out what server can
provide guidance for a specific access network, taking into account
renumbering, domain name migrations, etc. I am not sure if the organizational
unit of an ISP that runs the Web platform really has a better understanding of
the access network topology and naming than the organization unit that runs DNS
and DHCP. I'd assume the opposite. Sure, it is up to an ISP to sort this out.

> > - I could imagine that load balancing mechanisms and
> strategies for DNS could be quite different from Web load
> balancing, also taking into account HTTP proxies etc. ALTO
> discovery requires that a topologically close server is
> discovered. The DNS infrastructure is a network service and
> thus somehow linked to topology, unlike a Web platform.
>
> Sorry, I do not follow your reasoning here. Will not that
> imply that the whole ALTO infrastructure would be better
> suited for running on DNS?

No. The sole purpose for the discovery is to find the URI of a suitable ALTO
server.

For instance, I am concerned about a scenario where a transparent HTTP proxy is
deployed inside the access network. For instance, assume that all client
traffic on port 80 and 443 is forced through a proxy. The scenario is then as
follows:

ALTO discovery client <---> HTTP proxy <---> SWD discovery server

In that setting, unless I miss something, it can be difficult for the SWD
discovery server to figure what ALTO server could provide guidance to clients
behind the proxy. Also, note that the ALTO server does not have to run on port
80 or 443, i. e., ALTO queries may or may not have to pass through the HTTP
proxy themselves.

Any middlebox scenario is difficult for ALTO discovery, similar like NAPT. But
middleboxes on port 80 and 443 are quite frequent. And I don't think it is well
understood how this affects ALTO discovery.

> > Right now, all the points are speculation. It might be
> doable to engineer an ALTO discovery solution based on
> draft-jones-simple-web-discovery, if it becomes an IETF
> standard. But, as of now, I don't really understand what the
> benefit would be for ALTO.
>
> Unifying protocol stack to a single one, HTTP(S), and relying
> in a fully controled server framework. And there is another
> reason related to trust and
> security: while HTTPS is well understood and easy to deploy,
> DNSsec is in not such a good situation. A trustworthy
> discovery mechanism would be much simpler to implement and
> easier to adopgt by using HTTPS...

I am not a security expert. But in a typical access network scenario both the
network (DHCP infrastructure) and the DNS server is under control of the access
network operator. If there is a successful attack on the DNS infrastructure,
there are probably worse problems than ALTO server discovery.

Also, please have a look at the security consideration section in
draft-ietf-alto-server-discovery. The main attack on ALTO server discovery is
to provide a forged ALTO server URI, e. g., an server that provides suboptimal
guidance regarding peer-selection. While "worse-than-random" traffic
optimization is certainly not optimal, it doesn't seem to result in a
tremendous security issue neither.

Thus, unless I miss something, I don't see a significant security and trust
benefit for HTTP(S)-based ALTO discovery.

Michael