Hi Diego,

On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 02:13:00PM +0000, Diego R. Lopez wrote:
> Hi Sebastian,
>
> On 9 Nov 2012, at 22:00 , Sebastian Kiesel wrote:
> > I think we could even do that within the ALTO protocol, see
> > http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-kiesel-alto-alto4alto-00.txt but I also
> > believe that in a multi-domain scenario this inter-ALTO-server mesh
> > structure would be much more cumbersome than relying on DNS, and a DNS
> > resolver stub is anyway included in virtually every networked device.
>

> Was not aware about this draft, thanks for the pointer. I think this could
> be the base for what I mentioned in my last reply to Michael on relying
> on only-ALTO documents to make the specification. I still think that a
> single GET query sounds simpler than a direct access to the DNS interface,
> as well as the trust considerations are applicable.
>
> What would you think of leaving the current discovery document as it is
> now and exploring the possibility of aligning HTTPS discovery with this
> ALTO4ALTO idea?

As you can see the ALTO4ALTO draft has expired quite some time ago.
We've been discussing architectural options for quite a while now
and there was not much positive feedback about this draft so far.

My personal favorite topic is still the third-party discovery. If we
had a working solution for that we could also use it for the resource
consumer initiated discovery.

But 3pdisc causes lots of headaches so we decided to push forward a
simple solution at least for resource consumer initiated discovery. From
a technical point of view I think both is feasible, DHCP/DNS based
discovery as well as ALTO4ALTO style discovery, but I cannot see a clear
winner.  From procedural point of view the DHCP/DNS way has advantages
as it is based on more established and solid base protocols.

Thanks
Sebastian