chuck fauser <chuck5...@yahoo.com> writes:

>  My understanding is that the TeleGPS is not designed to be a flight
>  tracker, but rather a rocket locator. It does not have the flight
>  tracking capabilities that the TeleMetrum/Mega have.

Let's be careful about terminology here.

TeleGPS is a tracker.  It reports its present location once a second,
and when in motion, logs that location data to flash.  It does not try
to run a flight state machine the way our flight computers do, so it
doesn't really know anything about rocket flights.  It just knows where
it is, and where it has been.

So, when you download recorded data, you may need to play with pan and
zoom on the graph to find the chunk of time relating to the last
flight.  Keith has talked about adding code someday to make it easier to
cut individual flights out of the recorded position data, but I don't
know if or when that might get to the top of the to-do list.  In the
meantime, if you want each download to represent "a flight", then you
need to download and erase flash after each flight.  Otherwise, you'll
end up with one log that has position data for everything TeleGPS has
done since your last download/erase.

With respect to losing GPS lock during boost, that's pretty normal.  Any
time you're accelerating faster than about 4 g, the GPS tracking
algorithm has trouble maintaining lock.  So what usually happens is you
have a solid launch rail fix, then you lose lock during boost, then
typically long before apogee the receiver has re-acquired lock and
provides clean data through recovery.

I hope that helps!  TeleGPS is really awesome at doing what it does, and
we have many really happy TeleGPS customers .. but it is *not* a flight
computer and therefore just doesn't provide the same experience you may
be accustomed to with our flight computer products.

And yes, final production test on many of our products including TeleGPS
happens on my bench in Black Forest, CO, just a bit NE of Colorado Springs.

Bdale