Paolo Supino wrote:

> Hi
>
>   I've been playing with amanda for a week, and hopefully I will move
> it into production after I'm done with my tests. I've read all the
> documentation available (FAQ, text files, example files, "Using
> Amanda" from the book "Unix Backup and Recovery") but I didn't find
> any documentation which details Amanda's structure, information flow
> and parts (something like a detailed top down view, or a good user
> manual). Is there such documentation? If there is, where can I find
> it?

Try the files named

lisa-vii.ps.gz
usenix92.ps.gz

somewhere in the amanda ftp space. They are old, but still interesting.

> If not is anyone working on anything similar? If not anyone thinks
> he will benefit if such documentation existed? If the answer for only
> the last question is yes, I will try and write one myself.

Yes :-). Please add a chapter on AMANDA's algorithm too (keyword: bin
packing). This will let us understand what exactly AMANDA optimizes and
how. Perhaps this will reduce the number of questions like "I expected
AMANDA to do a /full backup/promote more backups/use 99,99% of my tape/
tonight, but didn't do it. Is it a bug or a feature?" ;-)

And - even though I might be distinctly alone in this - : an explanation
of why AMANDA's optimization problem  is NP-complete would be very
appreciated...

--
Regards

Chris Karakas