I've receintly upgraded from the 20/40 to the 40/80.
backward read compatability is fine, however, you can NOT relabel the
80 gig tapes that were previously labeled in 40 gig mode.  The tapes need
to be bulk erased 1st.  I tried bulk erasing with the most powerful
magnetic field we had in the media dept. to no avail.  Amanda still
read the labels.

fyi

David Wolfskill wrote:

> >From: Alexandre Oliva <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >Date: 18 Nov 2000 05:51:47 -0200
>
> >(i) in case the DLT4000 robot fails, the DLT7000 tape drive will be
> >able to read backups done with it, and
>
> >(ii) after the DLT4000 robot is fixed, it will be able to read tapes
> >written by the DLT7000 drive.
>
> The autoloader with which I started using amanda was a 7-slot ADIC
> device with a DLT 4000 drive (August, 1998).
>
> I had told my manager that sometime around spring of this year, we
> should plan on going to a DLT 8000 drive.  We did this (though it took
> longer than expected); it arrived in mid-October, just before I went on
> a 2-week vacation (for the first time in years).
>
> Since we have a dedicated amanda server, it isn't being used when the
> backups aren't running (and I'm not tweaking it); I was able to swap the
> devices and do some preliminary testing.  Basically, the drive worked
> just fine without making any changes to the amanda configuration --
> though we weren't making optimal use of its capabilities.
>
> Given that I was going to be out of the office for a while, I chose to
> leave well enough alone until my return.
>
> After I got back, I found that amanda had run trouble-free; given that,
> I started making changes to take advantage of the DLT 8000 -- briefly,
> it holds twice as much (40 GB vs. 20 GB native) and writes as much as
> four times (6 MB/s vs. 1.5 MB/s) the DLT 4000 drive.  (Tape writing
> speed is nowhere near the bottleneck now.)
>
> >From this, we may observe that the DLT 8000 drive had no trouble reading
> the tapes that had been written with the DLT 4000 drive -- I did not
> need to re-label the tapes (via amlabel), for example.  And I believe I
> did a restore or two, using the DLT 8000 drive, from backups that had
> been written with the DLT 4000 drive.
>
> Although I have not tested it, I would not expect that the DLT 4000
> could read tapes written by the DLT 8000, though -- unless there's some
> way to force the DLT 8000 to *write* in DLT 4000 mode, which I doubt.
>
> I would expect similar considerations to apply to a DLT 7000.
>
> Cheers,
> david
> --
> David Wolfskill      [EMAIL PROTECTED]   UNIX System Administrator
> Desk: 650/577-7158   TIE: 8/499-7158   Cell: 650/759-0823
begin:vcard
n:McCall;David
tel;cell:707-592-6056
tel;home:707-792-0482
tel;work:707-664-3099
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://veronica.sonoma.edu/
org:Sonoma State University;Information Technology/Computer Operations
adr:;;1801 E. Cotati Avenue;Rohnert Park;California;94928-3609;California
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Operating Systems Analyst
x-mozilla-cpt:;1