On Tue, 21 Nov 2000, David McCall wrote:

> I've receintly upgraded from the 20/40 to the 40/80.
> backward read compatability is fine, however, you can NOT relabel the
> 80 gig tapes that were previously labeled in 40 gig mode.  The tapes need
> to be bulk erased 1st.  I tried bulk erasing with the most powerful
> magnetic field we had in the media dept. to no avail.  Amanda still
> read the labels.

A testament to the use of DLT!

>From what I remember during my research on DLT4000 vs DLT7000, the drive
lays down some tracks that specify the media and format.

In order to get a newer drive to write in older format, you first had to
get it "formatted" in the older format. In amanda terms, that would mean
labelling it in the DLT4000.

Quantum's site would have the best information, but make sure to verify it
all works as advertised before relying on it.

I seem to remember there being a way to get tapes setup for 20/40 to be
written at 35/70, but I can't remember if that was using a specific
software package or just using the certain buttons on the drive.

HTH,

Bill Carlson
--
Systems Programmer    [EMAIL PROTECTED]    |  Opinions are mine,
Virtual Hospital      http://www.vh.org/        |  not my employer's.