From: Hartmann, O. [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, April 18, 2001 4:50 PM
To: Bort, Paul
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: chg-manual "poor man's" changer problems

On Wed, 18 Apr 2001, Bort, Paul wrote:

Hello.
Thanks for responding.

Our systems are all based on FreeBSD 4.3-RC3, I forgot to mention that.
well, the backup operator is 'operator' and this user has full read/write
permissions to the tape device (/dev/nsa0, /dev/nrsa0).

whenever I put any line into "changer.conf" as configured with "changerfile"
in amanda.conf I receive errors about that line - so I omit all lines, I
simple
"touch" a changerfile 'changer.conf' to get the control files as expected
from
"chg-manual".

When trying 'amcheck config' I get some infos about the holding disk and I
was
offered to insert a tape in slot 0 - and I should hit return. either I do
immediately
while the tape is already loaded into the HP DAT (4 GB DDS-2 drive) or I
eject and
reload it again, wait for the tape to be initialised and the hit return.
Always
with the same effect: I was offered to hit return again and load a tape into
slot 0 - but nothing happened to the tape inserted into the tapedrive.

When checking /tmp/amanda/changer.debug then I get a big file with this:

Mode      Density              Blocksize      bpi      Compression
Current:  0x24:DDS-2           variable       61000    DCLZ
---------available modes---------
0:        0x24:DDS-2           variable       61000    DCLZ
1:        0x24:DDS-2           variable       61000    DCLZ
2:        0x24:DDS-2           variable       61000    DCLZ
3:        0x24:DDS-2           variable       61000    DCLZ
---------------------------------
Current Driver State: at rest.
---------------------------------
File Number: 0  Record Number: 0        Residual Count 0
     -> loaded <>
     -> rewind /dev/nsa0
     -> status /dev/nsa0
[...]

->END<-

Well, it seems to be all right, tape is loaded, clear to be written on - but
whats going on with the changer?

It seems not to be willing to write anything :-(

A normal tar, mt operations and so on work well with the tape and as user
'operator',
so that is not a kind of a permission issue.

:>The config stuff looks OK to me, I would suggest leaving off the slot part
:>of the amlabel command. When I label tapes through chg-manual, I always
just
:>`amlabel Config2 NextTapeName`, and if it asks me to put a tape in a
:>specific slot, I just re-insert the tape in the drive, wait for it to
settle
:>down (it's an EXB-8505, they take a while) and hit enter. Solid as a rock.
:>
:>The only other thing that comes to mind is to make sure that the amanda
user
:>has read and write permissions on the changerfile.
:>
:>Good Luck.
:>
:>