(Warning: Stream-Of-Trace)

OK, I'm getting closer. The reason that it keeps asking for a tape in the
same slot is because it doesn't know what slot it's on. The message:

     -> loaded <>

Should really have a slot number in the <>, but doesn't. The variable $used
in chg-manual is empty for unknown reasons.

I wish I knew more shell script.

OK, it looks like the line before the "loaded" message is the relevant one:

used=`$MT $MTF $tape status 2>&1 | tee -a $dbglog | $EGREP "$ONLINEREGEX"`

This is placing the status message in the log, but it looks like no status
message I've ever seen.

My status messages look like this:

[amanda@tape configdir]$ mt -f /dev/nst0 status
SCSI 2 tape drive:
File number=0, block number=1, partition=0.
Tape block size 0 bytes. Density code 0x0 (default).
Soft error count since last status=0
General status bits on (1010000):
 ONLINE IM_REP_EN

I think that the grep is looking for 'ONLINE' and not finding it in your
status message, so it doens't think the tape drive is ready, and asks you to
insert a tape.

Next steps would be to find out what AMANDA is invoking with $MT, and find
out if you have an mt command like mine, and how to bring the two closer
together.

Sorry this took so long. I'm still learning shell script.