Hi!
> I'm not sure where the problem is, so I suggest a few steps to find what's
> working and what's not.
> First see if the Tapedrive is found at all. Cat /proc/scsi/scsi and see if
> you find a device of type Sequential-Access like this:
cat /proc/scsi/scsi brings:

Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 08 Lun: 00
  Vendor: QUANTUM  Model: DLT8000          Rev: 0119
  Type:   Sequential-Access                ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 09 Lun: 00
  Vendor: OVERLAND Model: LXB              Rev: 0518
  Type:   Medium Changer                   ANSI SCSI revision: 02
root@fileserver:/var/log >

> Then check if the st driver is loaded and has found the tapedrive. Make
> sure that the module is loaded (if st is a module, do a 'modprobe st') and
> check the kernel logs for something like:
> Detected scsi tape st0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 3, lun 0
> st: bufsize 32768, wrt 30720, max init. buffers 4, s/g segs 16.

This is a part of /var/log/boot.msg

<4>Detected scsi tape st0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 8, lun 0
<6>(scsi0:0:9:0) Synchronous at 20.0 Mbyte/sec, offset 15.
<4>  Vendor: OVERLAND  Model: LXB               Rev: 0518
<4>  Type:   Medium Changer                     ANSI SCSI revision: 02
<4>Detected scsi generic sgh at scsi0, channel 0, id 9, lun 0
<4>scsi : detected 1 SCSI tape 1 SCSI cdrom 5 SCSI disks total.
<4>sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 0x/0x caddy
<6>Uniform CDROM driver Revision: 2.56

> Check if /dev/st0 and /dev/nst0 are correct:
> crw-rw----    1 root     tape       9, 128 Jul 21  1998 /dev/nst0
> crw-rw----    1 root     tape       9,   0 Jul 21  1998 /dev/st0

ls -l /dev/nst*

root@fileserver:/dev > ls -l /dev/nst0
crw-r--r--   1 amanda   disk       9, 128 Apr 27 07:50 /dev/nst0
root@fileserver:/dev >

ls -l /dev/st0

crw-rw----   1 root     disk       9,   0 Nov  8  1999 /dev/st0
root@fileserver:/dev >

> Run 'mt -f /dev/st0 status'. If this works all right (i.e. you don't get
> error messages like mt: /dev/st0: No such file or directory or
> /dev/st0: No such device or address) then the OS and the tapedrive are
> working fine and your problem is an Amanda problem :)

mt -f /dev/st0
mt: /dev/st0: the device is busy (Das Gerät oder die Ressource ist belegt)
root@fileserver:/dev >

Bevor i installed an new SCSI-Hard Drive, the system works fine.
After this installation the system don't work.
Is the device nst0 damaged?

Bye Juergen

--
Dies ist eine Microsoft freie Mail!