I'm using amanda 2.4.1p1 (the version included in Debian potato).

Currently, the /home partition on our main user system is too large to
back up fully (we have only a small tape drive).  Rather than
completely leave users out in the cold, I'd like to back up at least
their mail, and probably web directories.

So:

/home/*/[M,m]ail
/home/*/public_html

I've been trying to do this with exclude lists, but I haven't hit the
solution yet.  This:

[^*/public_html]

at least, does not work.

On that note, it is annoying that if I have an exclude
file, say /etc/amanda/exclude.home, running amanda with that file
produces different results than:

tar cvf /dev/null /home -X /etc/amanda/exclude.home

Why is this?

Thanks for any help,

--
--Ray