You can figure out what's coming due by looking at
'amadmin <config> balance'.  You can't always predict what might
get promoted by planner, but if you do what you're suggesting and
force enough filesystems to make the total data size for the run
greater than "average", planner won't promote anything.

Some other things to consider if run-time is getting to be a problem
are adding more holding disk space and possibly increasing maxdumps.
These should allow for more parallelism in the dumping phase.
Depending on your needs, getting the data off the clients quickly
might be the real issue, and then amanda can continue spooling data
from the holding disk to tape long after the dumps have finished.

-Mitch