On Wed, Jun 27, 2001 at 06:28:24PM +0200, Christoph Sold wrote:
> [List reply stripped]
>
> Tom Strickland schrieb:
> > >
> > > After some near disasters with DDS tapes, I suggest also considering
> > > DLT1 tapes. Those never failed, even after long storage periods. They
> > > come even pretty cheap.
> >
> > If only! If I was admin for a commercial enterprise, I'd go with DLT
> > or similar - but as a charity branch we just can't afford it.
>
> Huh? This single DLT1 drive has cost less than 4000 Marks -- thats less
> than $2000. Speaking of cheap, I again suggest looking at DLT1 drives.
> Designed to compete with DDS drives.

I've just done some sums:
total for HP SureStore DDS3i, SCSI card, 20 tapes, delivery, VAT: 998.52UKP
total for HP SureStore DDS4i etc: 1408.71 UKP
total for HP DLT1, SCSI card, 20 tapes, delivery, VAT: 2441.415

Well, unless I'm being wildly ripped off somewhere, it looks as though
DDS is the only affordable solution. Probably DDS3, I'm afraid. I may
be able to work something out, but at the moment I don't have the
funds to be able to chip in myself.

Anyway, thanks to all for the advice. Very helpful.

Tom