On Thu, Jun 28, 2001 at 08:55:04AM +0200, Christoph Sold wrote:

> Tom Strickland schrieb:

> > > Huh? This single DLT1 drive has cost less than 4000 Marks -- thats less
> > > than $2000. Speaking of cheap, I again suggest looking at DLT1 drives.
> > > Designed to compete with DDS drives.
> >
> > I've just done some sums:
> > total for HP SureStore DDS3i, SCSI card, 20 tapes, delivery, VAT: 998.52UKP
> > total for HP SureStore DDS4i etc: 1408.71 UKP
> > total for HP DLT1, SCSI card, 20 tapes, delivery, VAT: 2441.415
> >
> > Well, unless I'm being wildly ripped off somewhere, it looks as though
> > DDS is the only affordable solution. Probably DDS3, I'm afraid. I may
> > be able to work something out, but at the moment I don't have the
> > funds to be able to chip in myself.
>
> Did you cinsider DLT1 holds 40G uncompressed, compared to 4G for DDS4?
> You probably don't need 20 tapes. I can do with 10: 6 daily tapes,
> backed up monday through friday, 4 weekly tapes. Should cut the cost in
> half.

Oops - my mistake. I meant 10 tapes. Anyway, the order's been made:
DDS4. The only way that we could afford that was if I waived my
costs. I am low on cash at the moment (next job starts in 1 month), so
it wasn't easy. I would have gone with DLT if possible.

Thanks to all for the advice - very helpful and patient.

Tom