Hello...

Eric Wadsworth wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Amanda's been running smoothly for months now. It uses 6 tapes to back up
> our network.
>
> I was thinking it's about time to take a "snapshot" of the network, and
> preserve the current 6 tapes, and start using a new set of 6. The old ones
> can be an off-site backup.
>
> Here's what I was thinking of doing; I'd like some feedback if this is
> the best solution.
>
> 1. Get 6 more tapes, and amlabel them identically to the old
> ones: DailySet000 through DailySet005.
> 2. Wait a few days until I'm asked to insert tape DailySet000, then take
> the old DailySet000, pop it into my drawer, and instead insert the new
> blank DailySet000. Continue this process with DailySet001 through
> DailySet005.
> 3. Now my drawer is full of the old tapes, and I can take them home.
>
> Is this a good plan?

No.

you will overwrite the database of which file to which tape.  (I can't
remember the correct file/term)

What I would do is label the next six tapes DailySet0[06..11]
run 'amadmin DailySet no-reuse DailySet00[0-5]'
this means, "don't reuse these"

then you could run amrecover and set the date to one that is on one of
those tapes.

On the next amdump run it will ask for DailySet006 ...

Oh, the taking them home part _is_ good though :)

--
Christopher McCrory
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

I don't make jokes in base 13. Anyone who does should get help.
--Douglas Adams