I've got a volume that the planner is figuring is 48 GB.  I'm using DLT IV
tapes that should be good for 35 GB native with this tape drive.
Software compression is off and Hardware compression is on (using device
/dev/nrmt2h on a DEC Alpha OSF 1 version 4 system).

I'm getting the message "dump larger than tape" message.  I'm guessing
that this is because Amanda knows that it is not doing any compression and
it doesn't know that /dev/nrmt2h will do compression and since 48 is
bigger than 35 it thinks the data won't fit.

I'm wondering how best to deal with this.  Is there a way to tell Amanda
that this device will do compression and therefore do the backup, even
though the data appears that it won't fit?

I suppose I could change the length in the DLT tapetype to something
higher but that seems to be too coarse a solution.  It would throw off the
planner when other volumes use compression.

Thanks,

Steve
 Steve Cousins                 Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Research Associate            Phone: (207) 581-4302
 Ocean Modeling Group
 School of Marine Sciences     208 Libby Hall
 University of Maine           Orono, Maine 04469