Joshua Baker-LePain ([EMAIL PROTECTED]):

> On Fri, 25 Jan 2002 at 12:16pm, Jeremy Wadsack wrote

>> > What do you get if you do this:
>>
>> >   cd /var/amanda/daily/index/10.0.0.17/hda1
>> >   /usr/bin/gzip -dc 20020121_1.gz | sort | head
>>
>> Something that looks really normal to me:
>>
>> 07042765301/./dev/modem
>> 07042765301/./dev/ttyS0
>> 07422570751/./dev/ttyp0
>> 07422670637/./etc/logrotate.onboot/site27
>> 07422670637/./etc/named.boot
>> 07422670641/./root/.bash_history
>> 07422670641/./root/.ssh/known_hosts
>>
> Bingo.  Those numbers at the beginning of each line indicate a bad version
> of tar on that client.  You need at least 1.13.17.

Uh, is there some way Amanad could *detect* this at backup time and
warn about it? Does that mean that all the backups are no good, even
though they recovered on some servers before? (I didn't test all
servers, I admit, I thought they were similar enough...)

I specifically installed this version of tar in October to work with
Amanda. It's version 1.13, which is the latest version available on
any of the GNU mirrors. If I need a newer version can you tell me
where to find it?

--

Jeremy Wadsack
Wadsack-Allen Digital Group