On Mon, 4 Feb 2002, Brian Cuttler wrote:

>Should I expect this error when running amcheck on the "amanda server"
>which also have /usr/local as a local XFS partition ?

I use NFS automounted amanda clients here with no problems.  I have the
partition with the amanda software installed exported like this(although
I have genericized this some):

--- /etc/exports
/export/apps    @ournetgroup(rw)
---

--- auto.master
/mnt auto.apps  -intr
---

--- auto.apps
apps ourhost:/export/apps
---

So that the amanda binaries would be in /mnt/apps/IRIX64/bin and
/mnt/apps/Linux/bin respectively (so that the third level can be filled
in by `uname -s`).  Obviously the amanda UID/GID needs to be consistent
across all clients whether it's maintained via NIS or by hand on each
system.  Otherwise the permissions on the binaries won't be right.  I
compile the clients on the NFS server hosting the apps directory with
PREFIX set to /export/apps and then su to root in order to run the 'make
install'.  'make install' takes care of all of the permissions including
the various suid binaries.  It works great for me.  The Linux and IRIX
clients have no problem using their binaries.  The server is also a
client and works great.

I don't know what to tell you about the error you're seeing other than
perhaps you missed a step somewhere in there.  I can only hope reading
this little writeup on how I've setup my NFS clients will remind you of
something you forgot.

--
Brandon D. Valentine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Computer Geek, Center for Structural Biology

"This isn't rocket science -- but it _is_ computer science."
        - Terry Lambert on [EMAIL PROTECTED]