Paul,

A couple of things might help track down where the problem is coming from.
First, if you can add a third tape to a run, that will indicate whether the
problem is with AMANDA's tape size estimate or not. Next, do you have enough
holding disk space for that backup? You can test this by configuring that
entry in disklist to use a backup type that does not go to the holding disk.

That should help narrow down where the limitation is.

Paul