If the server can't back up itself, I'd start there.  I just checked on my
system and IP's seem to work, at least with amcheck, so perhaps that will
solve your problem.  If you used the FBSD port (/usr/ports) system on your
server to build Amanda, I think it automatically required FQDN for the
hosts.  Check the debug files on the server to confirm what amandad
reports for the defaults.

I use FQDN for all machines, but that's just me ;)

Doug Silver
Network Manager
Quantified Systems, Inc