On Tue, 19 Mar 2002, Lee Parsons wrote:

> We tried it both ways.  The backup server actually refers to another
> machine on the NAT range for its DNS, so when it pings the names of the
> machines with NAT addresses, it will get responses from their NAT IPs.
> We also added them manually to the /etc/hosts file on the backup server to
> point to their NAT addresses just to avoid confusion.  That made no
> difference.  Then we changed the disklist file to point to the internal
> machines by their NAT addresses, which also made no difference.  What else
> could be causing it?  All the machines with translated addresses are
> reporting "selfcheck request timed out.  Host down?"   Including the
> backup server itself when running amcheck.  What are we not seeing here?
>
> -----------
> Lee Parsons
> LAN Administrator
> The Minnesota Daily
> www.mndaily.com
>
> On Mon, 18 Mar 2002, John Koenig wrote:
>
> > Do your names refer to external (public) IP addresses while your
> > machines behind the NAT actually have internal (private) IP addresses?

Perhaps a bit more detail would let us figure out the problem.  For
example, here's my setup:

Amanda server: 172.16.20.140  (private IP)  it's resolv.conf allows it to
resolve both internal and external names since I have an internal DNS
machine.  I back up a bunch of private IP's (172.10.x) and external
(public IPs).

Do you have an internal dns server that the amanda server can use to
resolve all IPs?  I'm not sure if Amanda would use /etc/hosts to resolve
IP/names, so that might be a cause too.

When you said you tried pointing to the internal machines by their NAT
addresses, don't you mean the external machines?  Regardless, on the
server, recheck inetd, HUP it, and run 'amcheck -c CONFIG'.  There should
be some sort of /tmp/amanda debug files available.

Doug Silver
Network Manager
Quantified Systems, Inc