+ John R. Jackson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [07.04.02 19:13]:
> >I've got a|some problem|s ;) getting amanda 2.4.3b3 running as client.
>
> First, you do understand that the 'b' in that name means you're running
> beta test code, and as such should be prepared to help debug any problems,
> right?

Of course... I've tried 2.4.2p2 too, with no luck. So I updated to the
"bleeding-edge" version.

> >One problem is that I don't know how the backup-server is set up, so I
> >wonder if anyone here can see sthg in the logs below.
>
> You didn't say why you think you're having a problem.  What makes you
> think this client is not happy?

As far as I can see the client is happy, but the administrator of the
backup-server is not. He told me that there has to be a problem with my
client, because the same setup works with other machines. We have tried
some scenarios with no result and the only idea left was asking here.

> The only thing I see that's odd is that the sendsize log does not appear
> to have completed.  Is anything still running as your Amanda user?

There are no processes running as amanda anymore, nor any tars or
similar.

> What's in the runtar*.debug file?

There is no such file.

> What version of GNU tar are you using (gtar --version)?

# tar --version
tar (GNU tar) 1.13.17

> How big is /home/balu?  How many files (e.g. from "df")?

du /home/balu/ -s
140     /home/balu

It is a very small dir, just to make sure it is not the filesize-limit
or the like that prevents the backup from working.

BTW - does amanda store the archive-files on the client before sending
them to the server (then I'd have to watch for the 2GB-limit of my
2.2-kernel)? Or does it transfer the archive to the server "on the fly"?

> >... The homedir contains the following files:
> >
> >-rw-r--r--   1 root     root           21 Mar  1 16:39 .amandahosts
>
> This would not affect whatever problem you're having, but .amandahosts
> should be owned by your Amanda user ("amanda") and mode 0400 or 0600.

Fixed that.

I've asked the admin of the server to send me the amcheck-output.

     Balu